Comments

Comments are encouraged and appreciated. We are amateur botanist, and we do make mistakes sometimes with our identifications. We strive to make this a good identifying resource. All comments are moderated by me and may take several days to appear. This is due to the high number of inappropriate comments that have nothing to do with this subject.

Sunday, June 14, 2015

Rose Pogonia Orchid (Pogonia ophioglossoides)

Photographic Location: AEDC in Manchester Tennessee
On the advice of my friend, Dennis Horn, I took a trip to Arnold Engineering and Development Center (AEDC). Dennis is one of the authors and photographers for the publication Wildflowers of Tennessee the Ohio Valley and the Southern Appalachians. I have a very tattered copy that I use almost every day and is on my suggested publications list.

I was indeed lucky to meet Dennis and Max Medley (Co-author of The Atlas of Vascular Plants in Kentucky) for a full day of wildflower hunting. Two really great guys with more knowledge about wildflowers than I will ever know. Thanks guys for letting me tag along. I really learned a lot.

This is but one of the many flowers we saw. I especially like orchids and we saw and photographed several.

The Rose Pogonia Orchid is a member of the Orchid Family (Orchidaceae). It usually has only 1 flower on an erect, slender stem. It is rose or pink-colored and, unlike most orchids, has a nice fragrance. The lower lip is densely bearded near the throat with white to yellow bristles. There is 1 leaf near the middle of the stem, 4 inches long or less and 1 1/4 inches wide.

For more information about this wildflower, Click Here.

No comments:

Post a Comment