Comments

Comments are encouraged and appreciated. We are amateur botanist, and we do make mistakes sometimes with our identifications. We strive to make this a good identifying resource. All comments are moderated by me and may take several days to appear. This is due to the high number of inappropriate comments that have nothing to do with this subject.

Monday, July 4, 2016

Passion Flower (Passiflora)

Purple Passion Flower (Passiflora incarnata)
By far the more common in my neck of the woods. This is one of Tennessee's two state wildflowers. The other state wildflower is the Tennessee Coneflower (Echinacea tennesseensis).

Yellow Passion Flower (Passiflora lutea L.)
I searched for years to see this flower! After I finally saw one at a friends house, I could see why it is so hard to find. This is a tiny flower, about the size of my thumb nail. The best way to find this flower is to look for the very distinctive leaves. By doing this I was actually able to find this flower growing on my property.

Yellow Passion Flower (Passiflora lutea L.)
Both of these flowers are members of the Passifloraceae (Passion-Flower Family).

For more information about these flowers, Click Here for Purple and Here for Yellow.


No comments:

Post a Comment