Comments

Comments are encouraged and appreciated. We are amateur botanist, and we do make mistakes sometimes with our identifications. We strive to make this a good identifying resource. All comments are moderated by me and may take several days to appear. This is due to the high number of inappropriate comments that have nothing to do with this subject.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Dwarf Ginseng (Panax trifolius L)

Judy and I just got back from one of our favorite Tennessee State Parks. Rock Island State Park. Its always a great trip and we always see many wildflowers and various critters. This trip, there were many snakes about. this fellow wasn't too happy about us being there.


Rock Island is know for its many water features which I have shown in this previous post. Click Here. Here are a few more pictures of this beautiful park.






In the campground the night sky was just beautiful. The big dipper shown like a beacon through the trees. I thought I would try and get a picture. Boy was I surprised when I saw the pictures. You can't even see the big dipper for all the other stars. The camera captures all the smaller stars that are not visible to the naked eye. WOW!



Oh yeah, I guess you probably want to see a wildflower! Well here it is.

Panax trifolius L.
Dwarf ginseng
Araliaceae (Ginseng Family)

This tiny, woodland perennial looks like a small version of American Ginseng (Panax quinquefolius). An umbel of tiny, dull white (fading to pink) flowers rises from a whorl of 3 compound leaves.


Other wildflowers seen were Prairie Trillium, Twinleaf, Virginia Bluebells, Bloodroot, and many more. I will be posting more new varieties from Rock Island later.

No comments:

Post a Comment