Comments

Comments are encouraged and appreciated. We are amateur botanist, and we do make mistakes sometimes with our identifications. We strive to make this a good identifying resource. All comments are moderated by me and may take several days to appear. This is due to the high number of inappropriate comments that have nothing to do with this subject.

Monday, April 8, 2013

Pennywort (Obolaria virginica L.)

On another trip to my favorite wildflower haunt (Taylor Hollow in northern middle TN.) I discovered another new wildflower (new to me). Like I have said before, I am a novice at this and it is still exciting to discover an yet another beautiful wildflower.

Tomorrow Judy and I are headed to Rock Island TN. to do a little camping and wildflower hunting. I hope to have some new pictures when we return.
Family: Gentianaceae

A normally colonial perennial from 3 to 6 in. tall with a mostly unbranched stem and fleshy brittle roots. Lower leaves are scale-like and opposite, while upper leaves are rounded, mostly obovate, light green with a hint of purple, to 0.6-in. long. Tubular flowers are white (or purplish-white), almost sessile, from 0.4 to 0.5-ln. long with 1 to 3 clustered in the upper leaf axils and the terminal flower solitary.

Common. Rich moist woods.

Found throughout TN, and from NJ to s IL south to FL and TX. Mar-Apr. 


Photographic Location:  Taylor Hollow State Natural Area.

The genus name is from obolos (a small Greek coin), alluding to the thick roundish leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment